On Campus Community Service
The Student Community Services at Cal Poly located in University Union, Room 217 also offers a number of programs where you can volunteer. The time commitment varies from 1-2 hours per week to monthly activities. Some of these programs through Student Community Services are listed below.
- Best Friends - matches students with developmentally disabled individuals for friendship and support.
- Beyond Shelter - serves the needs of the hungry and homeless in SLO county.
- Poly Paws - serves the community through pet therapy at SLO hospitals and care centers in conjunction with Woods Humane Society
- Raise the Respect - is dedicated to creating understanding between different student populations on campus.
- Rotaract - is sponsored through he Rotary Club of San Luis Obispo. A service club for young college age men and women, the program is part of a global effort to bring peace and international understanding to the world.
- Senior Services - establishes a relationship between student volunteers and senior citizens in the SLO community.
- Students for Health and Well-Being - promotes good oral hygiene, nutritious eating habits, and a healthy lifestyle.
- Youth Challenge - volunteers spend time getting to know the adolescents in the Juvenile Services Center.
- Youth Program - gives volunteers a wide range of opportunities with children, including gardening, sports and education.
TIP: It is better to commit to one or two long-term volunteer experiences than to jump around from place to place. Professional schools want to see a real commitment, not a few token experiences.