Cal Poly offers health professions related courses you may want to consider.
SCM 101 Introduction to Health Profession Careers
This course is designed to expose you to a variety of health-related careers. Professionals from within the health field are invited to speak in this class to give you more of a realistic view of what is entailed in a day in the life of their respected health professions field. In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn to examine your own career choice, learn about the pre-professional health school admission process through required readings and assignments. Emphasis will be placed on creating a pre-health plan that demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate academic course selection, how and when to obtain appropriate experiences/activities, and the elements needed for a strong application.
- Intended for freshmen and sophomore students or students or students who are exploring or undecided about health career options.
- Credit/No Credit, 1 unit
- Offered Spring 2017
BIO 253 Health Professions Shadowing
This course includes observation/shadowing experience in local clinics. It is intended for 2nd year and above students with a demonstrated interest in a health career. Students must shadow for 21 hours in order to receive credit. Enrollment is by application and instructor permission only.
- Credit/No Credit, 1 unit.
- Typically offered twice/year
- Application for winter 2018 enrollment
SCM 363 Public Health Fieldwork
Designed for students who are interested in exploring the field of Public Health. This internship provides structured experiences at the County Health Agency.
- Credit/No Credit, 2 units
- Applications should be submitted to the College of Science and Mathematics Advising Center in Bldg. 53, Room 211 by the deadline for the term you wish to enroll in:
Fall Quarter - May 1
Winter Quarter - November 1
Spring Quarter - March 1
No summer internship available